The sun radiates strong UVA and UVB rays that can harm your eyes. These rays damage your eyelid skin, lens, cornea, and other parts of your eyes. Exposure to these rays can also lead to cataracts, macular degeneration, and growths on the eye. Today's Vision Cypress — Fry Rd, provides eye care services in Cypress, TX, and we can help you choose the right UV protection sunglasses.
Choosing the Right UV Protection Sunglasses
Make sure your next pair of sunglasses has the following:
• Blocks 99–100 percent of both UVB and UVA rays
• Gray lenses for proper color recognition
• Screen out 75–90 percent of visible light
• Lenses free of imperfections and those that match in color
Who Should Wear UV Protection Sunglasses?
Adults and children should wear these glasses outdoors. UV rays can easily damage the eyes. Children’s eyes are more sensitive and they get more exposure compared to adults. Getting your children proper eye protection early on is a great step in a lifetime of eye care.
When Should You Wear the Glasses?
You should wear your sunglasses during the day, and even on overcast days. The sun's rays are strongest from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., but they can still damage your eyes at other times. Reflections and glares from sand, water, windshields, and snow also pose a threat to your eyes. Have your UV protection glasses on when around them.
Situations That Increase Your Risk
These factors can increase your risk of having eye damage due to UV rays.
2. Photosensitizing drugs
3. Proximity to the equator
4. High altitudes
5. Tanning beds
6. Some medical conditions, such as having cataracts or cataract surgery, retinal dystrophies, and macular degeneration, also put you at risk.
Optometry services can help you understand your risks so that you can take preventive measures.
Darker glasses reduce the amount of visible light that goes through the lenses compared to lighter lens shades but they do not provide additional protection against invisible UV rays. Choose sunglasses that block 100 percent of UV rays.
Some Models You May Consider
Some glasses that we recommend include:
• Pro Acme TPEE Kids Polarized Sunglasses: ideal for kids.
• Gear District Polarized UV400 Sport Sunglasses: recommended for outdoor activities.
• ELITERA Brand Polarized Sunglasses: ideal for driving.
Our optometrist will help you select a pair that protects you and fits your lifestyle.
We Can Help You Protect Your Eyes from UV Rays
Our family eye doctors are here to help you choose the perfect pair of sunglasses to provide protection from dangerous UV rays. Call Today's Vision Cypress at (832) 220-6168 to schedule an appointment.