Determining if your child is having vision problems is a task that requires a professional optometrist. Starting from birth, your child will need regular eye exams to ensure the best vision possible and to prepare for any potential problems down the road. In particular, school-aged children need to have a comprehensive eye exam before starting classes to prevent any loss of academic success. If you're looking for an optometrist in Cypress, TX, the eye doctors at Today's Vision Cypress are accepting new clients.
Why is pediatric eye care important?
Though your child's school will almost certainly require an eye exam before kindergarten or first grade, it's important to start earlier than that. The doctor that delivers your child will check for certain reflexes of the pupil and eyelid when your baby is born. You should schedule your first appointment with an optometry clinic between six months and a year after birth.
The eye doctor will examine your child's eyes, making sure they're reacting correctly. The eye doctor will also look for signs of lazy eye, astigmatism, and other diseases of the eye. The earlier they're discovered, the easier it will be to treat them.
Children who need corrective lenses but do not get diagnosed will have far more problems in school, both academically and socially. Children who cannot see well are more likely to act out because of the frustration of not being able to see, but they likely won't be able to explain why they're acting out.
Common pediatric eye problems
For young children, the most common eye-related problems are:
- Lazy eye: The eye may wander inward or outward out of sync with the other eye. A doctor will use methods to strengthen that eye before the difference in vision becomes too great.
- Misalignment or strabismus: This misalignment causes children to have wandering or crossed eyes. In some cases, surgery is necessary to fix this issue.
- Nearsightedness: Not being able to see at a distance, corrected with glasses.
- Farsightedness: Not being able to read or see up close, corrected with glasses.
- Astigmatism: The eyeball is curved incorrectly and causes symptoms similar to nearsightedness. Glasses are the fix here, too.
Keep your child's vision healthy
Early examination and intervention can prevent many eye-related problems down the road. Whether your child is complaining of vision problems or you simply need to start regular eye care appointments, the eye doctors at Today's Vision Cypress can help. If you're in the Cypress, TX region, call us today at (832) 220-6168 and start down a path to clear, healthy vision for life.