Protecting Your Eyes from the Sun
Anytime you step outside, your eyes are at risk of being damaged by the sun. While you may not always think about it, it is vital to take measures that provide UV protection for your eyes. At Today's Vision Cypress – Fry Rd in Cypress, TX, our optometry team will help you with sun protection and UV protection for your eyes.
Sun Protection Methods
- Avoid the sun during peak hours. The highest UV radiation from the sun occurs in the morning and mid-afternoon. Make sure to protect your eyes if you can't avoid staying out of the sun during these hours.
- Wear quality sunglasses. Sunglasses with UV protection are a great tool to protect your eyes. Cheap sunglasses are often ineffective.
- Wear a hat. A wide-brimmed hat paired with some quality UV-blocking sunglasses is great for your next trip to the beach.
- Wear sunglasses all year round. We often don't think of wearing sunglasses during the peak of winter, but UV light bounces off the snow as well. Plus, there are sunny days even when it's cold outside.
- Try transition lenses. Sensitive eyes benefit from transition lenses that become darker when they are exposed to light.
- Avoid looking at the sun. This is common sense, but avoid looking up at the sky because you can actually sunburn your eyes. It could eventually lead to macular degeneration.
- Wear the right contact lenses that block UV rays.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Optometrist
It is vital to wear sunglasses and take other measures to protect your eyes. At Today's Vision Cypress – Fry Rd in Cypress, TX, our family eye doctor will help you choose the perfect pair of sunglasses for UV protection. We also provide eye exams to ensure that your eyes are healthy and have not been damaged by the sun. Call us today to schedule an appointment.